Do, Bring & Expect
Things to “do”
Connect with your Divine Source
Eat, slowly and often
Walk the rice terrace path
Walk the labyrinth meditation
Walk the gardens
Walk the jungle path
Walk to the hot springs
Sleep without air con (it’s cool at night)
Stare at the stars from our star beds
Write (paper and pen)
Things to “not do”
What to Bring
- Bring a few changes of clothes, suitable for yoga and meditation practice, pack for hot (days) and cool (nights) and rainy weather (anytime).
- Warm jacket – it gets chilly when the sun sets.
- Every bed has a down comforter. Temperatures range from 35’C (95’F) in the day and sometimes down to 20′ C (68’F) at night.
- Rubber flip flop sandals (easy to kick-off and slip-on, when going in and out of buildings).
- Afternoon rainstorms are common, pack a poncho or umbrella.
- Personal medication and toiletries – however we have a ‘Garbage In; Garbage Out’ policy for non-compost-able items. We’re committed to Green to the Extreme principles which limits garbage to items that are compostable or recyclable. Please do not leave your toothpaste tubes, or cosmetic tubes, or razors, or shampoos or other such items, as modern society has adapted to need. We have special garbage bags for your recyclables. Please take your non-recyclable garbage with you when you checkout.
- Please note that we are on solar power and there are no outlets in the rooms to plug in hair dryers etc. The Office Angels can recharge your phone or laptop for a small fee.
- A flashlight and/or headlamp if you have one.
- Do NOT bring food. We are in the middle of rice fields and the cute little mice think its party time when they smell food. They will chew right through your luggage.
Visa and Passport Guidelines:
Check the Indonesian Embassy web site for tourist Visa info, different nationalities experience different entry requirements.
Lock Boxes are available to safely store your money and valuables. Please note, our guest rooms are only lockable from the inside.
What to Expect
At Check In
Please organize your schedule to arrive before 4:00pm. See more about this on the Location and Transport page.
You will register with the Office Angels (who will require a copy of your passport) and pay any outstanding balances. We accept cash (USD or IDR) or credit card. We apologise – there is a 3% surcharge when paying by credit card. Debit cards Not accepted – sorry.
Make sure your bank knows you will be traveling to Indonesia so you can still use your bank/credit card.
You will receive:
- A map and orientation brochure.
- Your lock box key
- Linens, kimono, sarong and your own personal set of dishes and cutlery. In typical ashram style, you make your own bed and wash your dishes during your stay.
Privacy is designed by you: no one will approach you to ask anything, no restaurant staff to ask your order, no cleaning staff unless you request such, and no one asking what you want to do today.
At Check out
- The DAY BEFORE CHECKOUT- any additional miscellaneous charges (such as massages, treatments, laundry, gift shop etc) will be totaled for payment (cash or credit card).
- Your transport plans will be confirmed.
- If you need to check out earlier than your full booking dates a one night fee (room only) will be deducted from your refund amount as we frequently turn guests away because we are sold out. Please be sincere about your booking dates.
Eating and Programs
Bali Silent Retreat’s vision is to support the personal spiritual journey of each person who finds themselves in residence. Silence allows for solitude and restful contemplation within a social environment. We are not vipassana, not a religious supported ashram, no guru, no dogma.
Times to talk: If you have a question please ask any of the staff at any time. If you wish to converse with other students please do so in the Chat Zone (near reception) or head off site (hot springs, rice field walk etc)
Quiet vs Silence: Silent does not always mean quiet! Frogs at night form a joyful chorus, ceremonies in the nearby villages involve music and chanting and during cremation season there are chainsaws cutting trees for the funeral pyres. We apologize in advance for these auditory invasions and give thanks for your patience.
Laundry and Room Cleaning
- Linens: At the beginning of each week, you can collect a new bag of ‘set-up’ items. However, if you should need a change at any time, let us know and we’ll be happy to replace whatever you need with a clean version.
- Laundry for your personal items is available and takes 1-2 days, depending on wet or dry season.
- Rooms are generally cleaned by each guest, so as not to have staff going in and out of their personal space (supplies provided). However, staff can clean your room anytime – just ask and a smiling Balinese will show up with brooms and brushes.
- Dishes are washed at the lodge by each guest.
Apologies, our buildings and access are not wheelchair friendly nor advised for anyone who is walking impaired. There are no ramps. There are many stairs. Walking in general, needs to be quite ‘mindful’, as most of the walk-ways are on elevated individual concrete/rock blocks or railroad ties.
Communication – Connecting “to the world”
This is a rare opportunity to unplug and disconnect as there is no Wi-Fi here and very limited signal in the area.
- There is no direct wifi at the retreat. There are no computers for you to use. Phone signal is usually ok.
- If you have an unlocked Smart phone, you can get an Indonesian SIM card as you walk out of the airport or here at the office (Telkom) with data for wifi, and text and calling capabilities. This can be used for skype or as a hotspot for your laptop or smart phone.
- There is a quiet small building with shade at the edge of the retreat (2 minute walk) which often has a good wifi connection.
- If more intense internet activity is needed, there is an internet cafe with wifi connection from a fiber optic land line, in the nearby village.